Completing a heroin rehab treatment program is a great accomplishment. It is not, however, the end of your recovery experience. The choices made following rehab are perhaps just as important, if not more so, than those made during rehabilitation. Maintaining proper aftercare and discipline is a crucial aspect in maintaining sobriety throughout the transition back to the day-to-day routine.
Because addiction is a disease, avoiding relapse and the triggers associated with it is a major factor is maintaining sobriety once treatment is complete. Most all drug rehabilitation programs work to provide patients with relapse prevention tactics as part of their rehabilitation and aftercare programs.
5 Relapse Prevention Tips
1) Avoid keeping your feelings in. If you attend addiction support groups as part of your aftercare treatment, these forums can be a wonderful place to express your feelings and emotions. In this way, you’ll be able to alleviate excess tension while obtaining help and support from peers who have been through similar experiences.
2) Commit to an activity or hobby to keep yourself occupied. Take up an instrument, exercise class or volunteer at a retirement facility. Dust off the old brain and choose a class at your local community college to keep the old chef dream alive. The busier you are, the less opportunity you’ll have to resort to old habits.
3) Steer away from acquaintances and friends who don’t support your decision to remain sober. Surround yourself instead with friends and family members who support your recovery and are committed to keeping you on a positive path.
4) Do your best to avoid situations that may tempt you to use. This includes emotional circumstances and areas that have pushed you to use in the past. If you must attend events or places that cause you to dwell on your addiction, be sure to map out a feasible escape plan.
5) Those who relapse are not failures. THOSE WHO RELAPSE ARE NOT FAILURES. If you happen to slip up, it will do you little to dwell your mistake. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and take the next step forward. It can be easy to let one mishap excuse a return to negative behaviors. Do not let one simple mistake alter the positive steps you’ve made. Consider contacting your substance abuse rehabilitation center for support and advice during this difficult time. Recovery is never an overnight process. With time, drive and determination, you WILL be able to achieve the happy, healthy and fulfilling lifestyle you’re striving for.